Crochet Project: Kitchen Towel Hangers (with Pattern)

Kitchen towel hangers are a recent crochet project that I hadn't originally intended to be a holiday gift, but one of them ended up as such. So I had to postpone writing about them for a bit too.
Recently my Mom mentioned that the ring-shaped towel hanger she uses in her kitchen (which I think maybe my Sister made for her a few years ago?) had gotten stained. I told her I could re-do it for her with some new yarn, and she chose some of my leftover Red Heart Super Saver in Heartfelt.
Not long after that, I was reorganizing what is left of my yarn stash after all the other holiday projects were complete, and I came across a bit of leftover vintage Carousel Remember yarn in the "Classic" colorway, which is a variegated red, off white, and gray yarn. The colors reminded me of the colors in my Sister and Brother in Law's newly remodeled kitchen. I knew my Mom was getting them some new towels and things to match their new kitchen as holiday gifts. So, I mentioned the yarn to her, and told her if she had any extra rings I would be happy to make a new towel hanger for her to give them with their other new kitchen items.
Well, of course, my pack-rat Mother had plenty of metal and plastic rings for me to use for this project, so I ended up remaking her original towel hanger, making a new one for my Sis and BIL, and making myself a towel holder for my kitchen too.
Ring-shaped towel Hangers in progress and complete, except for the buttons.
I looked for patterns for towel holders, and found a few, but none that I really liked, so I ended up just looking at/feeling my Mom's old one and copying how it was done. I used a size G hook, the worsted weight yarns mentioned above, and did the following:

Round 1: sc or dc (depending on the thickness of the ring) around a metal, plastic or yarn ring, working until the ring is entirely covered. For my metal and plastic rings - which were each roughly 3 inches in diameter on the inside - I needed about 60 st to cover them. Then, Sl st last st to first. Ch 1.

Round 2: sc in each stitch around ring. Sl st last st to first. ch 1.

row 1: 10 sc. ch 3 turn.
row 2: dc across. ch 1, turn.
row 3: sc across. ch 3, turn.
row 4-11: repeat row 2 and 3 four more times.
row 12: dc across, ch 1, turn. (10 st)
row 13: decrease 1 (work first 2 st tog.) sc 6 across decrease 1 (work last 2 st. tog.). ch 3, turn. (8 st.)
row 14: dc across. ch 1, turn. (8 st)
row 15: decrease 1 (work first 2 st tog.) sc 4 across, decrease 1 (work last 2 st tog.). ch 3, turn. (6 st.)
row 16: dc 3, ch1 (for button hole gap), dc 3. ch 1, turn. (6 st.), ch 1, turn. (6 st.)
row 17: sc across row, down side, and all the way around entire top and ring. sl st last to first st. fo.

Sew on button.
The plastic ring I used in the hanger I made for myself was much thicker than the metal rings I used for the other two hangers, but in the end it didn't make any difference in what I did to cover it, and it still looks very similar to the metal-ring hangers.
My towel holder with a white towel through the ring, hanging on the metal handle on my oven door.

No comments: